Regarding Automatic loading of PCMCIA client driver

kaustav.majumdar at wipro.com kaustav.majumdar at wipro.com
Fri Feb 10 05:32:50 EST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Kaustav Majumdar (WT01 - Semiconductors & Consumer Electronics)
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 3:20 PM
To: Monali Vishnu Katkar (WT01 - Semiconductors & Consumer Electronics)
Subject: RE: Regarding Automatic loading of PCMCIA client driver

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominik Brodowski [mailto:linux at dominikbrodowski.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 2:50 AM
To: Kaustav Majumdar (WT01 - Semiconductors & Consumer Electronics)
Cc: linux-pcmcia at lists.infradead.org

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 11:10:43AM +0530, kaustav.majumdar at wipro.com
wrote:
>> I want to know that if I want to load the PCMCIA client drivers when
the
>> PC Card will be inserted in the slot
>> then what are the things I have to do?
>Kernel 2.6.?

Yes the OS version is 2.6.15

>Just add the appropriate PCMCIA_DEVICE_ information (see
>Documentation/pcmcia/devicetable.txt ) to the .id_table entry in struct
>pcmcia_driver, and use recent udev, pcmciautils and module-init-tools.
Then
>all should work well :-)

According your suggestion we had upgraded or installed module-init tools
(version 3.3-pre1) and pcmciautils (version - 012)(also sysfsutils
(version - 2.0.0)as it is needed).

The PCMCIA card in question hosts a USB port. So we had placed the
client driver in /drivers/usb/host directory.

   But from the output of pccardctl ident we note that:
          function: 6 (network)
       due to CIS error.

I am not sure about whether it will affect the module loading or not. So
after compiling the driver as kernel module we had copied it into
/lib/modules/2.6.15/kernel/drivers/net.

But still the module was not getting loaded as a result of card insert.

I had tried to fill up the pcmcia_driver.id_table using
1. PCMCIA_DEVICE_MANF_CARD
2. PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12

In both cases, automatic module loading was not successful.

I am mentioning the details about the system and PCMCIA card:

1. from the output of lspci:

       02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1520 PC card Cardbus
Controller (rev 01)

       02:04.1 CardBus Bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1520 PC card Cardbus
Controller (rev 01)

  From this I think there is no need of resource database. So in
PCMCIAUTILS compilation we had selected STARTUP = false.

2. udev version is: udev-039-10.8.EL4
    In PCMCIAUTILS compilation we had selected UDEV = true

Looking forward to your suggestions,

Thank you,
Kaustav

www.wipro.com