Problems with /dev names with pcmcia modem

Nathan M ngmlinux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 20:59:57 EST 2006

I am trying to get a pcmcia modem up and running in Damn Small Linux
(DSL) and have been unable to get the modem to connect when I use
pppd.  There seems to be some descrepencies in terms of how the modem
is listed in /dev as compared to how it is listed in other [working]
distros.  I know the modem uses a couple of internal 16550A UARTs
however in DSL it comes up as two UARTs (ttyS00 and ttyS01) and in
Ubuntu it comes up as one (ttyS0).  Ubuntu also automatically links
/dev/modem to ttyS0.  In DSL I have attempted to do so to both ttyS00
and ttyS01 on two seperate attempts with no success.  I wish I could
provide more detailed error information, however all I get is a
"Connect script failed" error in pppd.

Any ideas on this one are greatly appreciated.  Please review the
information below, thanks:

=== Output of pppd in Damn Small Linux (DSL)[Not Working] ===
dsl at box:~$ sudo pppd nodetach call mymodem
Connect script failed
 (this output occurs when I've tried symbolically linking /dev/modem to
 /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS00 and /dev/ttyS01)

=== Output of dmesg in Damn Small Linyx (DSL)[Not Working] ===
dsl at box:~$ dmesg
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

=== Output of dmesg in Ubuntu [Working] ===
 [4294669.799000] Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $54
 ports, IRQ
 sharing enabled
 [4295038.910000] ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 5) is a 16550A