Modem PC Card on Compaq nx6110: No serial port created

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Tue Apr 4 05:30:43 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 09:14:23AM +0200, Pascal MALAISE wrote:
> And serial_cs module is inserted. However, there is no ttyS0 registered.

Is there another /dev/ttyS* with a different number which appears once you
insert the card? I strongly doubt it, but...

> + kernel logs when card is inserted, removed and inserted again.
>
> pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
> cs: memory probe 0xd0000000-0xd03fffff: excluding 0xd0000000-0xd003ffff
> pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
> pccard: card ejected from slot 0
> pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
> pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0

I'd assume that something in serial_config() failed, as the driver's probing
function is to be called, but seems to fail before serial8250_register_port
either prints output to dmesg in uart_report_port() or in its failure path
in setup_serial(). Russell, any ideas?

Thanks,