io mode driver for ata flash card

Guylhem Aznar pcmcia at externe.net
Tue Mar 29 15:43:08 EST 2005

BTW here is a link to some code which was developped to make the WIFI
part work. It is now in CVS.
http://www.dsitri.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=95

The most interesting is Jouli Malinen reported:

The attached preliminary patch was enough to get the card working for
me. However, I was able to get it working only with one functionality
at the time (wlan vs. ide-cs). This looked more like a lower-level
issue in Linux pcmcia support (I/O request failed) than Host AP driver
specific issue and it would be useful to test this with some other
kernel versions (I used 2.4.28 now; will test 2.6.x later).

In the devel manual page 46 I read:
http://www.sandisk.com/pdf/industrial/ProdManualCFWLANv1.0.pdf

The CompactFlash WLAN Flashcard can be configured in a True IDE Mode
of operation, however the WLAN function is not available in True IDE
mode. This card is configured in this mode only when the -OE input
signal is grounded by the host when power is applied to the card. In
this True IDE Mode, the PCMCIA protocol and configuration are disabled
and only I/O operations to the Task File and Data Register are
allowed. In this mode, no Memory or Attribute Registers are accessible
to the host. CompactFlash Cards permit 8-bit data accesses if the user
issues a Set Feature command to put the device in 8-bit mode.  NOTE:
Removing and reinserting the CompactFlash WLAN Flashcard while the
host computer's power is on will reconfigure the CompactFlash Card to
PC Card ATA mode from the original True IDE Mode. The 50-pin socket
must be power cycled with the CompactFlash Card inserted and -OE
(output enable) grounded by the host in order to configure the card in
True IDE Mode.

Using google I discovered that cf cards can operate in TrueIDE, PC Card Memory
Mode or PC Card I/O mode

So if I understand correctly :
 1) -OE must not be grounded when plugging the card
 2) a io access driver is needed

How can this be done with a kernel 2.4.25 using the latest pcmcia
tools?

Any pointer will be appreciated.