Help accessing compact flash memory card?

Jeff jeff at adamsclan.org
Thu Dec 29 00:24:31 EST 2005

Hello Pavel, thanks for the quick reply. Please see my replies inline below.

Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 21:47 -0600, Jeff wrote:
>
> What was the version of the kernel that supported the card?

2.6.12 was the last working version. The card was also working with
various kernel versions earlier than 2.6.12.

> Bad news - that driver (renamed to pcmciamtd) is considered broken in
> the recent kernels.  However, it may happen that your card is actually
> detected incorrectly.  Digital cameras normally use CompactFlash cards
> with IDE interface.

That is bad news. I'm currently running a 2.6.15-rc3 kernel, if that
matters. Is there a way to tell how the card being detected? Or for that
matter, what should it be detected as? The card was recognized as
/dev/hdc when it was last working.

> Since you are getting messages about memory_cs, I guess you are still
> using pcmcia-cs utilities and the compatibility PCMCIA layer in the
> kernel.  It should be OK for now.  You can switch to the new interface
> once you resolve this problem.

I'm no longer running cardmgr, so I believe I'm mostly migrated to the
"new way" of doing pcmcia. While I was originally getting the memory_cs
messages, I am no longer getting them since installing the pcmciautils
package and doing everything I could figure out to do from the "Linux
Kernel 2.6 PCMCIA - mini-HOWTO".

> Please run "cardctl ident" and post the output.  Also, it's better to
> use dmesg to get the kernel log, since syslog may be omitting some
> kernel messages.

# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
   no product info available

Here's some output from pccardctl:

# pccardctl status
Socket 0:
   3.3V 16-bit PC Card
   Subdevice 0 (function 0) [unbound]

# pccardctl ident
Socket 0:
   no product info available

Dmesg is returning the same thing syslog reports when inserting the card:

pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0

Thanks again,

- Jeff