Help accessing compact flash memory card?

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed Dec 28 23:04:27 EST 2005

Hello!

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 21:47 -0600, Jeff wrote:
> I have a compact flash memory card for my digital camera that I was able
> to successfully access on my computer up until I started using post
> 2.6.13 kernel.

What was the version of the kernel that supported the card?

> Once I upgraded to a post 2.6.13 kernel, I was no longer
> able to access it, at first getting a message along the line of "missing
> memory_cs".

Bad news - that driver (renamed to pcmciamtd) is considered broken in
the recent kernels.  However, it may happen that your card is actually
detected incorrectly.  Digital cameras normally use CompactFlash cards
with IDE interface.

>  After digging around the net, I found the "Linux Kernel 2.6
> PCMCIA - mini-HOWTO", and I've gone through it several times making some
> progress, but I've now reach the point that I'm stumped. I believe the
> kernel is setup correctly, as I see the card insert and the pcmcia
> subsystem assign it a device.
>
> My best guess as to where my troubles lie is that I'm having an issue
> with the user space tools, but I'm at a loss as to how to go about
> fixing things. Debian's pcmciautils package uses UDEV rather than
> hotplug, neither of which I've gotten my head around. So any hints,
> pointers, or words of advice that anyone can provide are greatly
> appreciated.

Since you are getting messages about memory_cs, I guess you are still
using pcmcia-cs utilities and the compatibility PCMCIA layer in the
kernel.  It should be OK for now.  You can switch to the new interface
once you resolve this problem.

Please run "cardctl ident" and post the output.  Also, it's better to
use dmesg to get the kernel log, since syslog may be omitting some
kernel messages.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin