Help accessing compact flash memory card?

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Dec 29 01:00:22 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 23:24 -0600, Jeff wrote:
> Hello Pavel, thanks for the quick reply. Please see my replies inline below.
>
> Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 21:47 -0600, Jeff wrote:
> >
> > What was the version of the kernel that supported the card?
>
> 2.6.12 was the last working version. The card was also working with
> various kernel versions earlier than 2.6.12.

Then your card is not a "bare" memory card, because there was no
memory_cs for 2.6.12, so cardmgr was loading some other module, most
likely ide-cs.

> > Bad news - that driver (renamed to pcmciamtd) is considered broken in
> > the recent kernels.  However, it may happen that your card is actually
> > detected incorrectly.  Digital cameras normally use CompactFlash cards
> > with IDE interface.
>
> That is bad news. I'm currently running a 2.6.15-rc3 kernel, if that
> matters. Is there a way to tell how the card being detected? Or for that
> matter, what should it be detected as? The card was recognized as
> /dev/hdc when it was last working.

Indeed, you have a usual IDE card that should be supported by ide-cs,
but the card CIS became unavailable after the kernel upgrade.

> > Since you are getting messages about memory_cs, I guess you are still
> > using pcmcia-cs utilities and the compatibility PCMCIA layer in the
> > kernel.  It should be OK for now.  You can switch to the new interface
> > once you resolve this problem.
>
> I'm no longer running cardmgr, so I believe I'm mostly migrated to the
> "new way" of doing pcmcia. While I was originally getting the memory_cs
> messages, I am no longer getting them since installing the pcmciautils
> package and doing everything I could figure out to do from the "Linux
> Kernel 2.6 PCMCIA - mini-HOWTO".

OK, then we need to find out why CIS is not available.

> Dmesg is returning the same thing syslog reports when inserting the card:
>
> pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
> pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0

It may be interesting to see the messages about the PCMCIA socket.  The
list of the loaded modules could be useful.  Are PCMCIA drivers compiled
as modules?

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin