AW: PCMCIA can't be probed during kernel loading????

linux at brodo.de linux at brodo.de
Thu Jul 10 17:10:15 BST 2003

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 03:36:38PM +0200, linux at brodo.de wrote:
> > Currently, yes. Nonetheless it should become possible soon. Yang, are
you
> > willing to test 2.5. patches? If so, please send me a lspci -vv of
the
> > Dell inspiron.
>
> lspci doesn't help you to find the regions that pcmcia shouldn't use.

Not what regions pcmcia shouldn't use, but what pcmcia may use -- the I/O
and memory behind the PCI-PCI bridge found in recent ICH-M chipsets [as
long as the NO_ISA flag is set]

> Based upon discussion I've had with Arjan, the only thing that tells
> you seems to be experience and quirk lists.

Well, for certain cases [like this one] -- a "standard" PCMCIA card on a
probably mostly legacy-free notebook -- there should be a
config/boot/module parameter which allows the resources to be used even
though userspace hasn't told the kernel anything yet. Of course, some
regions might not be free -- but the "standard" eth0/eth1 range might be.

> Apparantly, the Red Hat installer has such a list of currently known
> SMI ports and other quirks, and builds a custom configuration for
> cardmgr at installation based upon the hardware it discovers in the
> machine.
Is this installer open-source? If so, does anybody know where I can grab
the sources?