[Linux-parport] Microtek ScanMaker V310 Parallel port on FC3

Adam Baker parport at baker-net.org.uk
Sun Jun 19 11:44:19 EDT 2005

On Saturday 18 June 2005 21:04, jmb365 wrote:
> I am trying to get a Microtek ScanMaker V310 (via parallel port
> interface) to work on Fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3, but have run
> into several blocks.  This is the first time I am attempting a scanner
> install on linux:
>

> Loaded okay, but :
>
> modprobe ppscsi            (Not Found)
> modprobe onscsi            (Not Found)
> modprobe onspec            (Not Found)
>
> Does this mean that I need to recompile the kernel with these modules
> (which I have not done so far and am reluctant to do so) or does the
> distro come with everything to make it work out of the box?   Could not
> the modules be modprobed rather than beign compiled into the kernel?   I
> seem to get the impression that FC3 should work out of the box, since
> sane-backends aludes to this specific printer being supported, but I may
> be wrong.

Unfortunately the ppscsi drivers are no longer part of the official kernel
with 2.6, I don't know if FC3 has patched them back in but I'd guess from the
results you got that it hasn't. There have been patches posted to this list
to add support back in, e.g.
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-parport/2005-January/000222.html
one of which I got working with another Mictotek scanner a while back.

The drivers can be compiled as modules but you need the patch installed before
the drivers will build at all. One other issue I and some others here have
come across is that on some hardware the parport driver refuses to accept
that the parallel port supports EPP mode which the onscsi driver needs. The
fix for that is to remove the Intel Bug Check bit from parport_pc.c