mtd layer: support of hybrid flash(W25M161AW) having both NOR and NAND flash

Jonas Gorski jonas.gorski at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 05:38:48 PST 2018

On 5 January 2018 at 11:21, Prabhakar Kushwaha
<prabhakar.kushwaha at nxp.com> wrote:
> Thanks Boris for the encouragement.

assuming the NOR and NAND parts behave like "normal" SPI-NOR /
SPI-NAND chips when selected, a more appropriate binding might be

&qspi {
        qflash0: dual-flash at 0 {
                compatible = "winbond,w25q16fw";
                reg = <0>;
                spi-max-frequency = <20000000>;
                #address-cells = <1>;
                #size-cells = <0>;

                nor at 0 {
                                compatible = "jedec,spi-nor";
                                reg = <0>;
                                #address-cells = <1>;
                                #size-cells = <1>;

                                partitions {
                                };
                };

                nand at 1 {
                                compatible = "jedec,spi-nand"; /* or
whatever the correct nand-compatible would be */
                                reg = <1>;
                                #address-cells = <1>;
                                #size-cells = <1>;

                                partitions {
                                };
                };

    };
};

with the "windbond,w25q16fw" driver modeled as a simple
"spi-multiplexer" that registers its own virtual spi-bus. Then when
spi-nor or spi-nand tries to communicate with their appropriate die,
it sends the Software Die Select command if needed and then passes on
the message to its parent bus.

That way there should be no changes needed for spi-nor / spi-nand
themselves. (The devil is probably in the details ;-)

Regards
Jonas