mtd layer: support of hybrid flash(W25M161AW) having both NOR and NAND flash

Boris Brezillon boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com
Fri Jan 5 05:35:06 PST 2018

+Peter and Frieder who are working on the SPI NAND aspects.

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 10:21:48 +0000
Prabhakar Kushwaha <prabhakar.kushwaha at nxp.com> wrote:

> Thanks Boris for the encouragement.

Nope, "fsl,ls1021a-qspi" should be enough. The fact that this
controller is able to control SPI NAND chips is just an internal detail
(actually, I hope all QSPI controllers are able to support both NOR and
NAND devices, but I wouldn't be surprised if some vendors hardcode the
set of commands they support in their controller :-/)

> 	qflash0: w25q16fw @0 {
> 		#address-cells = <1>;
> 		#size-cells = <1>;
> 		spi-max-frequency = <20000000>;
> 		reg = <0>;
> 		type = "serial-nor"   <-- Proposed New binding

No, this should be placed in a compatible:

		compatible = "jedec,spi-nor";

> 		is-hybrid <-- Proposed New binding
> 		die-num <-- Proposed New binding
> 	};
>
> 	qflash1: w25n01gw at 1 {
> 		#address-cells = <1>;
> 		#size-cells = <1>;
> 		spi-max-frequency = <20000000>;
> 		reg = <1>;

This is wrong, the NAND and NOR dies use the same CS line.

> 		type = "serial-nand" <-- Proposed New binding
> 		is-hybrid <-- Proposed New binding
>  		die-num <-- Proposed New binding
> 	}
> };
> };

Not really the DT representation I had in mind. Let's try to keep
things as simple as possible. How about:

&qspi {
	/* compatible is unchanged and has been defined in a dtsi */
	/* same goes for #size-cells, #address-cells, ... */
 	status = "okay";

	qflash0: w25m161aw at 0 {
		/*
		 * Thanks to this compatible, the spi-flash logic will
		 * know that this chip is an hybrid flash exposing a
		 * NOR and a NAND, that the NOR is assigned id 0 an
		 * the NAND id 1.
		 */
		compatible = "winbond,w25m161aw";
		reg = <0>;
	};
};

> struct spi_nor {
>     --
>     --
>    u8 is_hybrid
>    u8 select_die_opcode
>    u8 die_num;
>    --
>    --
> }
>
> struct spinand_device {
>     --
>     --
>    u8 is_hybrid
>    u8 die_num;
> }
>
> struct spinand_manufacturer_ops {   <-- this will be populated in flash file like drivers/mtd/nand/spi/winbond.c
> 	int (*die_select)(struct spinand_device *spinand);
> }

Frieder is working on such a ->select_die() interface, but that's not
sufficient for this kind of hybrid chips. We need a lock to prevent
the spi-nor and spi-nand layer from stepping on each other's toes:
when an operation is done on the NAND die, the NOR layer should not
try to select the NOR die.

> fsl_qspi.c  <-- existing file to handle NOR
> fsl_qspinandc <--  proposed file to handler NAND

Hm, not sure this is a good idea. Let's keep one driver and add support
for NAND in there.

> fsl_qspi.c
> 	 probe()
>   		 for_each_available_child_of_node(dev->of_node, np)
>        			- if type == "serial-nor"

Should be based on the compatible.

>  				spi_nor_scan()
>      			 - if (is_hybrid)
> 				Set is_hybrid , select_die_opcode and die-num  field of struct spi_nor
> fsl_qspinand.c
> 	 probe()
>   		 for_each_available_child_of_node(dev->of_node, np)
>        			- if type == "serial-nand"
>  				spinand_init()
>      			 - if (is_hybrid)
> 				Set is_hybrid and die-num  field of struct spinand_device

Hm, I really hate this situation. What we should be doing is declare a
qspi controller that embeds a SPI NOR and a SPI NAND controller and
then let the core register each chip, deciding which one is a NAND (and
should be attached to the NAND logic) and which one is a NOR (and
should be attached to the NOR logic).

> Whenever read/write/erase come from MTD layer
>   - if is_hybrid
> 	Change the die using select_die_opcode or die_select function pointer

As said above, that's not enough: you need a lock to prevent concurrent
accesses from the NOR and NAND logic.

Regards,

Boris