UBIFS recovery fails

Ivan Djelic ivan.djelic at parrot.com
Wed Oct 19 06:22:35 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 07:50:42AM +0100, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:
> That said, it seems to me that power failure during write causing
> excessive bitflips would be a problem with any flash, not just MLC or
> modern "unstable" SLC. Ivan, you said you've only seen it with modern
> flashes, not older SLC ?

Excessive bitflips after a power failure happen on all types of flash (SLC,
MLC, even NOR flash); it is an expected possible consequence of the power cut.
It is not really a problem as long as what you read in flash is _stable_.

On modern SLCs (at least I first saw it on 34 nm SLC flash), those bitflips
can be _unstable_, i.e. they can appear and disappear randomly as you read
pages. I experienced this phenomenon only on pages which were being programmed
or erased during a power cut.

BR,
--
Ivan