UBIFS recovery fails

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Wed Oct 19 08:17:31 EDT 2011

All:

> On modern SLCs (at least I first saw it on 34 nm SLC flash), those bitflips
> can be _unstable_, i.e. they can appear and disappear randomly as you read
> pages. I experienced this phenomenon only on pages which were being programmed
> or erased during a power cut.

  This makes perfectly good sense. During erasing or programming,
  charge is being deposited-upon or removed from the floating gates
  and that's not an instantaneous process, so it can be interrupted
  while on-going, leaving a gate that's only half charged or half
  discharged.

  At that point, the floating gate may have charge on it that's
  all-too-near the threshold voltage for the cell and any given
  read of that cell could "go either way" depending on minute
  variations in other conditions.

                                   Atlant