nand_base.c:nand_get_flash_type() test results

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 08:03:05 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 16:14 +0100, Angus CLARK wrote:
> On 10/14/2011 02:57 PM, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 16:26 +0100, Angus CLARK wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> While attempting to add support for some of the more recent NAND devices, I
> >> ended up refactoring nand_get_flash_type() code.  The refactoring was primarily
> >> aimed at simplifying the way in which the growing number 'READID' decoding
> >> exceptions could be accommodated.
> >
> > Why not to send the refactored code as well?
> >

> Well, mostly to avoid criticism of it not being based on the mtd-2.6 tree :-)

That's unavoidable - please, base it on the l2-mtd-2.6.git tree:

git://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/l2-mtd-2.6.git

:-)

> have attached the file 'nand_id_decode.c' which includes most of the relevant
> code.  If there is interest, I am happy to port to mtd-2.6, but testing on this
> version would be limited to compilation and nandsim.

The situation in MTD is that this is a scarcely populated subsystem
(everyone moves to eMMC) and we have little people who have time to take
your job, transform it into a nice patch, etc.

Your contribution is very appreciated, but please, do one more step -
create a nice patch against l2-mtd-2.6.git, with nice commit message,
and send it to this mailing list and CC Brian Norris. We will look at it
and take it to upstream.

Thanks!

--
Best Regards,