Yet Another UBI Question

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Mon Nov 19 04:41:05 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 14:54 +0530, Vinit Agnihotri wrote:
> Hi,
> As a part of work I have work with UBI & character drivers i.e. cdev.c in UBI.
> Can we think of implementing block device drivers instead of cdev to
> implement volume?
> That way we'll not be needing any block emulation layer on top of
> volume cdev & user will be able to
> put any file system on top of it.
> Will it complicate volume management or wear levelling anyway????

Sorry, not sure what you mean. UBI character devices represent UBI
volumes, they give you a possibility to update volumes, to read them, to
fetch different kind of information. So we need them.

An UBI volume is not a block device
(http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubi.html#L_ext2_over_ubi)

You do have to write quite complex layer of code to implement FTL on top
of UBI. Once you've done this, just expose the resulting block devices
as /dev/ubiblock0 block device nodes. This is how I see it.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)