doc2000 geometry problem?

dr john halewood john at frumious.unidec.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 06:29:41 EDT 2007

I've got a feeling this is going to turn out to be bad hardware but I thought
it would be worth checking first.
  I'm yet another person trying to embed linux using the doc2000 on a
NatSemi-based platform (Geode aka MediaGX - uck). I've got the system up and
running but I've run into a problem (this is with 2.2.16+current mtd cvs). As I
add the modules dmesg looks like this
M-Systems NAND Flash Translation Layer driver. (C) 1999 MVHI
$Id: nftl.c,v 1.34 2000/06/07 14:48:52 dwmw2 Exp $
M-Systems DiskOnChip driver. (C) 1999 Machine Vision Holdings, Inc.
DiskOnChip 2000 found at address 0xD4000
1 flash chips found. Total DiskOnChip size: 8 Mb
Cannot calculate an NFTL geometry to match size of 0x3c0.
Using C:1024 H:0 S:1 (== 0 sects)
nftla: nftla1
 It turns out that /dev/nftla1 is a FAT12 partition: the people who supplied me
with the board also helpfully put their Wince-based thin client software on the
DOC. Now here's the rub: I can't reformat the doc2000. The nftldump, erase and
nftl_format utils all return an error (-1, helpful that) on the
ioctl(blah,MEMGETINFO,&blah) call, which makes me suspect that there's
something about this chip that's not very healthy. Anyone have any clues or
have I just done something really stupid?

cheers
john