The solution for NAND/SMC on S3C2410 problems

Russ Dill russ.dill at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 03:26:00 EST 2006

> For some reason, with correct root= kernel parameter, the kernel complained about read errors (ECC), when it tried to mount the root partition. With hardware ECC, there were less, with SW ECC, there were more ECC-error messages... It seems, that there are still bugs or misconfigurations in the ECC-calculation algorithms in S3C2410, because after manually disabling ECC-check, everything worked well, the root partition was mounted!!! (I saw some selections for ECC-calculations, maybe I'm gonna try them)

sigh...because you are pretty much garunteed that you'll have bad
blocks on NAND, its part of the technology. The only place you'll get
blocks that always work is in the bootloader area (on some chips, that
are designed in this way).

Read the data sheet for any NAND part. You can't store data on NAND
flash like you can on NOR flash.