jffs2 fs overload

Selmeci, Tamas tamas.selmeci at siemens.com
Mon Mar 20 03:30:49 EST 2006

Hello!

> I'm defining the flash partitions content for my target
> and I need a rewritable flash area.
> So I formatted and mounted a flash partition as jffs2.
> What I noted is that, on a 1MByte flash area I loose
> about 600K immediately. If I use the command df I see
> that only 30less than 400k are really available.
> Is it possible that this is the normal overload if a
> format my flash partition with jffs2?
> Or am I doing something wtong?

I think this is normal, JFFS2 allocates inodes (as far as I know) in
advance like ext2 also does - in case of a very small filesystem, this
may lead to serious capacity waste... If my assumption is wrong,
somebody please correct me.

> Is there any good guide or document that can help me
> building a jffs2 RW flash partition?

I would make a filesystem on a host PC, and then make a jffs2 from it
(mkjffs). The image can be written with a download tool.

Bye
--
Tamas Selmeci