Re; MTD (2) Block Driver broken

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Mon Mar 7 09:24:02 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 March 2005 13:06:56 +0000, Gareth Bult wrote:

> Ahh, right, that makes sense.
>
> I re-write a driver so it works properly.
>
> You clean up all the code I've written to the extent that it no longer
> works. (was it 22 different patches?)
>
> Code gets submitted to kernel (obviously without testing) and ends up in
> the live tree as broken code.
>
> And it it's "my" fault for not checking and fixing all YOUR changes ?!
>
> Right.

Sure.  You have your reasons to be pissed and I have no problem to
acknowledge them.  The current driver is broken and a fscking
embarrassment.  And I am to blame.  No doubt.

Yet - you have proven before and continue to prove than you are
impossible to work with:

> Well, firstly I have in interest in the integrity of the kernel tree -
> I've been working with it and on it since 1991. Secondly, you inserted
> my name into your broken code - I do not appreciate this.
>
> What would I like, I would suggest one of;
>
> a.    Fix your changes, TEST, and re-submit to the kernel tree
> or
> b.    Remove the new driver from the kernel tree
>
> Either way, I would appreciate it greatly if you would remove my name
> from your work.

Deal.  Thank you for the original code.  It is a shame, but apparently
working without you is the only possible solution.

> Incidentally, there's nothing wrong with my memory (yet) and I'm still
> not interested in working on the mtd driver for exactly the same reasons
> as previously mentioned.

In that case, I shall consider it a an act of extreme politeness that
you directed your constructive criticism personally to me.  Very
efficient on so many levels.

Jörn, trying his best not to flame

--
"Error protection by error detection and correction."
-- from a university class