Do I have to umount JFFS2?

Peter Menzebach pm-mtd at mw-itcon.de
Fri Dec 16 04:10:54 EST 2005

alfred hitch wrote:
> Hi Steven, Peter,
>
> I would like to put in some problems we are also facing. I had
> reported it sometime back here also.
>
> On our system, we are observing that files on flash (jffs2 intel cfi nand)
> are getting corrupted, after  a number of resets and say 3 months of usage)
>
> Anyone seen anything like this ? any clues on how one can look into this.

Hi Alfred,
I have had no non recoverable error here up to now, but I am not
representative, since I do not need many permanent writes: I have all
permanently changeable informations like configuration files in one rw
partition, and all temporary information like log, lock, pidfiles... in
the ramdisk. My rootfs stays ro. In my case, I can simply erase the
"config-partition", and the board definitely is clean.

I have 2 ideas to your problems:
1. Single files can be still corrupted, when you write them and press reset.
2. Your jffs2 version is from a let's say "not so good time"

What I do not understand (from one of your previous posts): You said, a
command file was damaged. Was this file written at generation time of
the fs, and then not written any more?

Best regards
Peter

--