Handling multiple NAND chips

J.D. Bakker bakker at thorgal.et.tudelft.nl
Sat Jul 26 06:22:46 EDT 2003

At 11:56 -0400 25-07-2003, David Woodhouse wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 11:51, J.D. Bakker wrote:
>>  I have a two-hour old CVS; where should I look ?
>
>The fact that select_chip() now takes a 'chip_number' argument, that
>nand_scan() now takes a 'max_chips' argument and probes for up to that
>many... next is to fix the read/write/erase functions to select the
>_correct_ chip according to the address, etc.

/me grep(2)s source...

Ah, I see. Are you planning to always treat the NANDs as a linear
array ? As I obviously have access to multi-NAND hardware, I'll
happily beta-test this WIP.

>  > Does it *help* to have separate data/CLE/ALE ?
>
>Probably not. What may help, and to be honest I won't be 100% sure till
>we actually come to implement it, is having separate FR/B# so you can
>happily poll for completion and leave multiple chips _busy_
>independently.

Polling should be possible through the Status Read command
(0x70/0x71) anyway, right ? Or would you want hardware to generate an
interrupt when any of the FR/B# lines change ? Hmmm...

JDB
[now testing the CVS code with a single 1Gb NAND chip]
--
"There is a style of design I call "wishful thinking engineering."  It starts
  with something like "pigs can fly if you feed them enough beans" and develops

  (Vernon Schryver in n.a.n-a.e)