help installing MTD

Mike G. gohas at actinium.org
Tue Jul 15 05:18:26 EDT 2003

hi there,

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 14:36, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 07:17, Mike G wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am a Linux newbies, an idiot basically.  My task is to install the MTD
> > to the kernel linux-2.4.4 .. to run for MPC 857 for AM29DL322.
>
> 2.4.4 is very old. You really should consider upgrading to a vaguely
> recent kernel which isn't full of known holes.
I have try to use the new kernel 2.4.20 .. Somehow it doesn't work on
the custom board. So i m back to the ancient kernel.

> > This is the error msg.. of course there is some wrong file association i
> > can see.
>
> You've copied files in manually rather than using the 'patchin' script
> from the patches/ directory. Which means you've got the 'Makefile' files
> instead of the 'Makefile.common' files which you should have copied and
> renamed to 'Makefile' in each subdirectory.
I did used the patch now the compling complaint the exactly as you said
"kernel too old" *sigh*

> If you really do stay with 2.4.4 you'll probably need some surgery on
> linux/mtd/compatmac.h to make it support kernels that ancient again.
ok ok  if i were to do surgery, wat changes i hav to do.

> --
> dwmw2

thanks for prompt help ..

Mike G.