help installing MTD

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jul 15 02:36:40 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 07:17, Mike G wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am a Linux newbies, an idiot basically.  My task is to install the MTD
> to the kernel linux-2.4.4 .. to run for MPC 857 for AM29DL322.

2.4.4 is very old. You really should consider upgrading to a vaguely
recent kernel which isn't full of known holes.

> This is the error msg.. of course there is some wrong file association i
> can see.

You've copied files in manually rather than using the 'patchin' script
from the patches/ directory. Which means you've got the 'Makefile' files
instead of the 'Makefile.common' files which you should have copied and
renamed to 'Makefile' in each subdirectory.

If you really do stay with 2.4.4 you'll probably need some surgery on
linux/mtd/compatmac.h to make it support kernels that ancient again.

--
dwmw2