the procedure setting up jffs2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 12 19:14:11 EDT 2002

Hi Karim,

in message <3D811741.FB5178A at opersys.com> you wrote:

> The chip you mention is bottom-boot, so the above will very likely wipe-out
> the bootloader. You probably want to partition your MTD device by modifying
> the mapping driver and then write the JFFS2 image to another partition then
> /dev/mtd0. Check drivers/mtd/tqm8xxl.c for an example.

We (more  or  less)  consider  this  method  of  static  partitioning
obsolete.   We  use  (and  recommend  to  our  customers)  a  dynamic
partitioning, where "partition table" information is  passed  to  the
Linux kernel by PPCBoot using the kernel command line.

For example, passing the kernel a boot argument of

	mtdparts=0:256k(PPCboot)ro,768k(Kernel),-(Rest);1:-(myJFFS2)

results in this partitioning:

	TQM flash bank 0: Using command line partition definition
	Creating 3 MTD partitions on "TQM8xxL Bank 0":
	0x00000000-0x00040000 : "PPCboot"
	0x00040000-0x00100000 : "Kernel"
	0x00100000-0x00400000 : "Rest"
	TQM flash bank 1: Using command line partition definition
	Creating 1 MTD partitions on "TQM8xxL Bank 1":
	0x00000000-0x00400000 : "myJFFS2"

See the config option "CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS" in our kernel
sources.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The price one pays for pursuing any profession,  or  calling,  is  an
intimate knowledge of its ugly side.                  - James Baldwin