FAT for NAND Flash

Studying MTD studying_mtd at yahoo.com
Thu May 16 10:46:08 EDT 2002

--- David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:

> studying_mtd at yahoo.com said:
> >  1. Is it possible to use FAT filesystem with NAND
> Flash.
>
> Not directly. You need to use a translation layer on
> the NAND flash to make
> it emulate a normal hard drive, on which you can put
> any normal file system.

To use JFFS2 with NAND, currently we use four layers
of software :-

A. JFFS2: filesystem driver
B. MTD: Memory Technology Devices driver
C. NAND: generic NAND driver
D. Hardware specific driver

If i want to use FAT with NAND then i have to use :-

A. FAT: filesystem driver
B. Translation: Translation layer
C. MTD: Memory Technology Devices driver
D. NAND: generic NAND driver
E. Hardware specific driver

So i have to add only Translation layer, rest layers
will remain same.

Am i right ? If not, please correct me.

How can i write traslation layer , any reference.

> > 3. What is the difference between SmartMedia
> DOS-FAT and ordinary Fat
> > filesystem.
>
> AFAIK nothing. SmartMedia has a translation layer
> just like FTL and NFTL,
> and you put a normal FAT file system on top of that.

Are you supporting SmartMedia DOS-FAT .
>From where i can get sources for SmartMedia DOS-FAT ,
Linux tree , your CVS or some where else.

Thank you for your help.