FAT for NAND Flash

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu May 16 10:24:17 EDT 2002

studying_mtd at yahoo.com said:
>  1. Is it possible to use FAT filesystem with NAND Flash.

Not directly. You need to use a translation layer on the NAND flash to make
it emulate a normal hard drive, on which you can put any normal file system.

> 2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using FAT with NAND
> Flash.

You end up with a file system on top of another pseudo-filesystem which is
doing the hard drive emulation for you. Ideally, both of them need to do
their own journalling to ensure consistency at each level -- that's why
it's better just to have a file system that's designed to run on flash.

We aren't running DOS any more. We don't need to pretend to be a hard drive
just so that we can provide an INT 13h handler and have it 'just work'.

> 3. What is the difference between SmartMedia DOS-FAT and ordinary Fat
> filesystem.

AFAIK nothing. SmartMedia has a translation layer just like FTL and NFTL,
and you put a normal FAT file system on top of that.

--
dwmw2