different crash (was Re: JFFS2 is crashing the kernel)

Adam Wozniak adam.wozniak at comdev.cc
Wed Jan 16 17:11:34 EST 2002

David Woodhouse wrote:

> adam.wozniak at comdev.cc said:
> > Id: build.c,v 1.22 2002/01/09 16:30:57 dwmw2 Exp
>
> Bugger. There was a bug in 1.21 which could cause the symptoms you saw -
> but I fixed it in 1.22.
>
> Now I'm confused. It's possible that the shuffling around of code for
> portability, although it shouldn't have changed the behaviour in any
> significant way, has introduced a bug.
>
> I suspect you have a node or inocache on the list which has been freed and
> shouldn't be there.
>
> If this were reproducible, I'd want you to add debugging printks to
> jffs2_{alloc,free}_raw_node_ref similar to the ones in the inocache
> alloc/free functions. Also to jffs2_raw_ref_to_inum() to print raw and raw->
> next_in_ino each time round the loop you identified.
>
> Then boot with debugging (level 1) enabled and log _all_ messages, even the
> KERN_DEBUG ones, from the time the filesystem is first mounted.
>
> --
> dwmw2

Is it possible that I could have
had a kernel with build.c rev 1.21 which wrote bad data to flash,
then upgraded the kernel with a build.c rev 1.22
then got the crash?

I'm a little distant from the actual test lab, so I don't have the whole
history of the machine which crashed.  I also have machines in the field
which are running with a build.c rev 1.21 or earlier.  Are they likely
to be susceptable to this?

--Adam
--
Adam Wozniak (KG6GZR)   COM DEV Wireless - Digital and Software Systems
awozniak at comdev.cc      3450 Broad St. 107, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401