writing new BBRAM driver

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Tue Dec 17 04:12:27 EST 2002

On Mon, 16 December 2002 14:33:41 -0800, Alex Pavloff wrote:

> Alright, one more question:  What should the erasesize be for BBRAM?
> Obviously I'm not worried about wear, so should it be zero or one or
> something else?

Depends. :-)
For jffs2, you need 5 free blocks for operation. But every used block
eats up ~150Byte roughly, depending on data and compression. Bigger
blocks eat memory, more blocks eat memory, minimum is somewhere in the
middle, you do the math.
For minix, fat, ext2/3 etc., this doesn't really matter. I'd pick 4k,
as that is pagesize on most machines, but even 1byte might work - with
lots of overhead.

Jörn

--
But this is not to say that the main benefit of Linux and other GPL
software is lower-cost. Control is the main benefit--cost is secondary.