grub loading problem, for help

Ilguiz Latypov ilatypov at superbt.com
Fri Aug 16 14:58:52 EDT 2002

Jay,

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 jay.s at sohu.com wrote:

> grub>
>

> I feel lucky to see the prompt, however I cant access the doc anymore( I
> have tried to use "kernel ...." according to that howto), I have
> installed the contents in the doc and also the grub/menu.lst, but
> nothing help. Because I don't know grub much, I don't know what to do
> then.

Does the "root (dc0)" or the "root (dc0,0)" command work?  Can you see the
content of the menu.lst file by typing "cat /boot/grub/menu.lst"?  I
always create a symbolic link when preparing the boot partition:

    cd boot
    ln -s . boot

In this way the path /boot/grub/menu.lst will resolve even when /boot is a
mount point.

Also one has to make sure that the DoC's filesystem can be mounted at all
(that is, mount -t ext3 /dev/nftla2 /mnt/flash or similar must work).
It's easy to do mounting probe by booting off the hard disk first.

Ilguiz