[Fwd: Re: boot from diskonchip millenium]

Mark Meade mark at lakeshoremicro.com
Tue Aug 6 18:15:01 EDT 2002

Glen wrote:
> This is what I did, with the 0.92 patch; are you saying I should have
> done otherwise?

Glen,

The 0.92 patch is for released Grub; 2002-07-29 is for the latest Grub CVS
code.  The 0.92 w/patch should work fine.

> Interestingly enough, after I boot the machine to the HDD by entering
> the commands in grub manually, I no longer have a nftl partition.

It's been my experience that after burning the grub_firmware, you may need to
do the format and fdisk again.   This could be caused by running doc_loadbios
when the NFTL module is loaded (and a valid NFTL signature is detected):

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2002-June/005129.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2002-June/005123.html

> Does grub write to the DOC upon booting?

Grub doesn't have the capability to write to a DoC, as far as I know.

Mark