lilo and mtd ans doc

Karl Hammar karl at kalle.csb.ki.se
Tue Sep 4 14:43:46 EDT 2001

  $ man rdev
	 In a bootable image for the Linux kernel, there  are  sev­
	 eral  pairs  of  bytes  which specify the root device, the
	 video mode, the size of the RAM disk, and the swap device.
	 These  pairs  of  bytes,  by  default, begin at offset 504
	 (decimal) in the kernel image:

		 498 Root flags
		(500 and 502 Reserved)
		 504 RAM Disk Size
		 506 VGA Mode
		 508 Root Device
		(510 Boot Signature)

	 rdev will change these values.

I think that the default root device is the current root device.
To change:

  $ rdev vmlinux /dev/hda2

or similar.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl at kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  10 270 26 67                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting