JFFS2, CF, PCMCIA adapter, ATA

Michael Rothwell rothwell at holly-springs.nc.us
Sun Nov 4 16:34:07 EST 2001

On Sun, 2001-11-04 at 16:16, David Woodhouse wrote:
> As far as you're concerned, it's just alien technology

Okey-dokey, then.

> # dd if=jffs2-image of=/dev/hda (or hda1, hda2, etc.)
> # insmod blkmtd device=/dev/hda
> # mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /mnt/jffs2

... followed by a litany of "argh, block not erased" type messages in
the syslog. Mount then returns. Then, I try to copy some files into the
mounted jffs2 filesystem ...  "cp" causes an oops and the interrupt
handler gets killed.

> You may want partitioning if you want to boot from this too, not just use
> it as filesystem.

Am I correct in assuming that I can make partitions with fdisk, then

 # dd if=flash.jffs2 of=/dev/hde1
 # modprobe blkmtd device=/dev/hde1
 # mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /mnt/flash

...?

What would this look like in lilo and /etc/fstab on the device that will
hopefully be booting from the jffs2 image?

> There have been some blkmtd updates since then. I'm hoping the
> maintainer
> will send those to Linus if appropriate.

Maybe the updates won't oops... :)

Do you use mtdram to create jffs2 filesystems? Or some other method?

Thanks,

Michael