JFFS2, CF, PCMCIA adapter, ATA

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Nov 4 16:40:04 EST 2001

On 4 Nov 2001, Michael Rothwell wrote:

> On Sun, 2001-11-04 at 16:16, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > # dd if=jffs2-image of=/dev/hda (or hda1, hda2, etc.)
> > # insmod blkmtd device=/dev/hda
> > # mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /mnt/jffs2
>
> ... followed by a litany of "argh, block not erased" type messages in
> the syslog. Mount then returns.

That bit's expected.

> Then, I try to copy some files into the mounted jffs2 filesystem ...
>  "cp" causes an oops and the interrupt handler gets killed.

That bit isn't. Backtrace etc. please.

> > You may want partitioning if you want to boot from this too, not just use
> > it as filesystem.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that I can make partitions with fdisk, then
>
>  # dd if=flash.jffs2 of=/dev/hde1
>  # modprobe blkmtd device=/dev/hde1
>  # mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /mnt/flash

> What would this look like in lilo and /etc/fstab on the device that will
> hopefully be booting from the jffs2 image?

LILO isn't going to boot a kernel on a JFFS2 file system. You'll need to
make a separate partition to hold your kernel.

The above mount command translates to /etc/fstab just as you'd expect.
You have to load the module first though. I think the new version of
blkmtd allows you to specify the device to use on the kernel command line.

> Maybe the updates won't oops... :)

Maybe :)

> Do you use mtdram to create jffs2 filesystems? Or some other method?

No, I use mkfs.jffs2. It produces a more compact image.

--
dwmw2