JFFS2, CF, PCMCIA adapter, ATA

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Nov 4 16:16:35 EST 2001

On 4 Nov 2001, Michael Rothwell wrote:

> I've been trying to create a jffs2 image on a 16MB compact flash card
> today. I've got a pcmcia-to-cf adapter that works well for treating the
> CF like a small disk.

The CF _is_ a small disk. You may think it has flash inside - we couldn't
possibly comment. As far as you're concerned, it's just alien technology
which allows them to stick a real IDE hard drive inside that package and
stops you from hearing the whirring sounds.

There is a driver which uses a real hard drive as backing store for a
faked MTD device - see the 'blkmtd' driver. I haven't used it - others can
perhaps give you more helpful advice.

> How do I create a "loopback" jffs2 filesystem?

# insmod mtdram total_size=16386 erase_size=64
# dd if=jffs2-image of=/dev/mtdblock0
# mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /mnt/jffs2

> How do I create a jffs2 filesystem on the CF card using the PCMCIA adapter

# dd if=jffs2-image of=/dev/hda (or hda1, hda2, etc.)
# insmod blkmtd device=/dev/hda
# mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /mnt/jffs2

You may want partitioning if you want to boot from this too, not just use
it as filesystem.

> I'm using 2.4.13, with mtd and jffs2 compiled in. No devfs.

There have been some blkmtd updates since then. I'm hoping the maintainer
will send those to Linus if appropriate.

--
dwmw2