FW: Install linux on disk on chip

Technische afdeling Troyan Systems roelandgeysen at easynet.be
Wed Apr 18 08:06:36 EDT 2001

Hi all,

A customer of us want to have linux red hat 7.0 installed on a DOC from
M-Systems.
The used components are:

- 486DX4-100 CPU on board, embedded in ACC Maple chipset
- One 72-pin SIMM socket up to 32MB EDO RAM
- Realtek RTL8019 10Mbps Ethernet chip on board
- HM86508 LCD/CRT VGA chip on board with 1MB video memory ( WAFER-4823 )
- Additional DOC-chip from M-System (16 MB)

I placed a DOC-chip on the board and I don't know what I have to do to
install a bootable DOC with linux on it.
Customer wants just a booting DOC in Linux-console.  Packages on Red Hat
CD-rom are not important.

I attached a floppy and CD-rom to begin installation Linux, but it installs
it on the HDD and this is not what I want.
Customer doesn't need a floppy and/or HDD.

I ran at several problems:

- Realtek 8019 (AS) or NEC-2000 ethernetcard is not recognized by Linux at
installation time.
- VGA-chipset isn't supported by Linux, this is not so important because DOC
has to be booted with linux in console-mode.

Are there any step-by-step manuals to install Linux on a DOC-chip?
I found different articles in PDF-file from M-system, but I don't know where
to start and this is very technical.

Can you please help me out?

Are there standard image-files present so I can copy it to the DOC, without
doing the step-by-step procedures?
The system only needs to boot in linux without use of KDE/GNOME and other
packages.

Thanks in advance!

Technical Department Troyan Systems

Pirlet Marco / Geysen Roeland