journalled fs on partitioned flash

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Sep 27 05:17:57 EDT 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Peter Kundrat wrote:

> When i tried to dd if=rootfs.jffs of=/dev/mtdblock/0 i got
> end_request: I/O error, dev 1f:00 (mtdblock) sector 0
> end_request: I/O error, dev 1f:00 (mtdblock) sector 254
> etc. every 254 blocks
> and dd hung in D state (__wait_on_buffer+0x4c)
>
> Is it a known problem ?

Yep. The mtdblock device doesn't actually work, and it's used by JFFS
_only_ to get a handle on the underlying MTD device. Use the character
device to put your initial image on there instead.

I'm not sure how effective cloop on JFFS will be - if it's just
compression you're after, you'd probably be better off implementing
compression in JFFS - it's not too hard.

And JFFS doesn't work on the DiskOnChip yet, because the DiskOnChip uses
NAND flash. See sjhill's TODO list.

--
dwmw2