Grub support in DiskOnChip.

Kevin Moore kevin at moore-and-moore.com
Sun Oct 8 21:13:49 EDT 2000

Hello,

I have an Allwell STB1030N (small form-factor solid state x86 box)
with a 16 MB DOC Millenium, and I'm having difficulties getting grub
to work.  I can't get past the dreaded "DISK BOOT FAILURE..." message
after following essentially the same steps as outlined in the message
below.

I am using a 2.4.0-test9 kernel with "linux/drivers/mtd" and
"linux/include/linux/mtd" directories replaced with those from a
7 Oct, 2000 cvs checkout.  Everything seems fine for mounting, reading,
and writing with /dev/nftla1, so I assume that writing "grub_firmware"
is working.  I am using the grub version 0.5.95 to match the nftl patches
provided with mtd.  I'm using the recommended bios settings for booting
the DOC (SCSI,C), but I've tried the others as well.  Booting off
of a hard-drive or cdrom is no problem.

I tried changing the M-Systems lilo patches (major dev 62 -> 93),
firmware (doc42.exb), but got the same result.  I need the 2.4.x kernels,
so going completely with their method is not an option.

This must be a problem with the stage1 loader and/or bios, but I'm
at a loss for how to proceed from here.  Any suggestions for what
to try next would be welcome.

Thanks,
Kevin Moore