Blank screen but session seems to start otherwise normally

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet reynaldo at opendot.cl
Thu May 15 23:19:57 EDT 2008

Hey list, not wantig to leave this unanswered I figured out
I'd post here the solution Jordan Crouse come up with while
helping me on IRC.

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:
> The problem I'm facing is the one outlined in the subject.
> I 'hear' the session start, the greeting sound* is kind of
> distorted but i hear it nonetheless (using startx, I know
> the sound problem is in other lands) but the screen reminds
> blank.

OK. First, the laptop/UMPC is LX800 based and is branded in any of
the following ways:

- Packard Bell S18P
- Airis Kira
- kohjinsha SA1F00A

And while I know this might be not _directly_ related to the list
I'm almost sure there must be some desesperate souls seeking  for
the info ;)

The problem is then, the lack of harcoded modelines for this
display's native resolution, that is 800x480 (When using this
laptop with windows the modelines are probably stored in the
bios or in the windows driver itself). You will find  a completely
working (as of today ubuntu hardy's versions of the software
involved) xorg.conf config attached here.

Mind you can make it work with vesa at 640x480 at 60Hz without this
changes but the result is faAr from perfect.

I mean it. UGLY. ;)

Bests
--
Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet