Geode lxfb framebuffer not working

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Wed Jun 11 16:14:04 EDT 2008

On 11/06/08 13:04 -0700, Kushal Koolwal wrote:

> >Can you switch the mode manually from the command line with fbset?
>
> Using fbset did not help:
>
> debian:~# fbset -v 1024x768-60
> Linux Frame Buffer Device Configuration Version 2.1 (23/06/1999)
> (C) Copyright 1995-1999 by Geert Uytterhoeven
> Opening frame buffer device `/dev/fb0'
> Reading mode database from file `/etc/fb.modes'
> Using video mode `1024x768-60'
> Setting video mode to `/dev/fb0'
> debian:~#

Can you run fbset without trying to change the mode?  I'm interested in
finding out what your system thinks you are currently running.

> After giving the above command when I git Ctrl-Alt-F1 I see some garbage (random graphic color) and it seems as if the console freaked out. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7 (returning to GDM) gets back everything to normal. I tried 800x600 also but same results.
>
> > So you are saying that the lxfb boots fine at 800x600 at 60? Have you tried
> > any other modes?
> What I meant was I can only see the UGLY (normal) screen during the boot process if I don't pass any parameters.

I'm sorry - the kernel only has one mode (screen, whatever). If you are
telling us that you have a problem with a splashscreen app (usplash), then
yes, that is a known problem.  Please boot to your "UGLY" mode, and run
fbset and give us the results.  Also, make sure
that vesafb or any other frambuffer modules are not being loaded, there
seems to be some confusion here betweeen vesa, lxfb and X which are all
completely different entities.

One last thing - are you using a VGA device or a TFT panel?

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer