Geode lxfb framebuffer not working

Kushal Koolwal kushalkoolwal at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 16:40:29 EDT 2008

> Can you run fbset without trying to change the mode? I'm interested in
> finding out what your system thinks you are currently running.
Here is the output without passing any parameters to my 2.6.25-4-custom kernel in which lxfb is compiled into the kernel:

debian:~# fbset
mode "640x480-63"
    # D: 25.200 MHz, H: 32.143 kHz, V: 63.150 Hz
    geometry 640 480 640 480 16
    timings 39682 48 8 25 2 88 2
    hsync high
    vsync high
    rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/0
endmode
debian:~#

> I'm sorry - the kernel only has one mode (screen, whatever). If you are
> telling us that you have a problem with a splashscreen app (usplash), then
> yes, that is a known problem. Please boot to your "UGLY" mode, and run
> fbset and give us the results. Also, make sure
> that vesafb or any other frambuffer modules are not being loaded, there
> seems to be some confusion here betweeen vesa, lxfb and X which are all
> completely different entities.
I will try to make it clear this time. Once again I am sorry for the confusion. It's my mistake.

A) Using 2.6.25-4-custom kernel in which I compiled the lxfb driver *into the kernel* I get the blank screen every time I try to boot with or without passing the video= parameter. It seems that lxfb module tries to takeover the /dev/fb0 device and hence the result.

B) Using 2.6.25-4-486 default Debian kernel in which the lxfb is compiled as a *module* I can get the UGLY screen if I pass no parameter. If I pass vga=791 (1024x768 16-bit) the vesafb driver (which is compiled into the kernel) kicks in I get the framebuffer console at 1024x768.

If you are telling us that you have a problem with a splashscreen app (usplash), then
>yes, that is a known problem.
No, I am not using any kind of bootsplash program.

> One last thing - are you using a VGA device or a TFT panel?
I am using a VGA device - ViewSonic VE510b Monitor.

>Also, make sure that vesafb or any other frambuffer modules are not being loaded
Should I try not compiling the vesafb driver at all? Because right now in my 2.6.25-4-custom kernel I have the lxfb and vesafb both compiled into the kernel.
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FB_GEODE_LX=y
# CONFIG_FB_GEODE_GX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_GEODE_GX1 is not set

As I mentioned in my first post reverting back to my old 2.6.22 kernel with the development patch version of lxfb I can get the framebuffer console on the exact same hardware.

Thank you once again for your prompt response. Much appreciated!

Kushal Koolwal

I do blog at http://blogs.koolwal.net/

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD