No output on console despite ignore_loglevel earlyprintk

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at armlinux.org.uk
Fri Mar 3 09:18:39 PST 2017

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 06:07:39PM +0100, Marc Gonzalez wrote:
> On 03/03/2017 17:59, Andreas Färber wrote:
> >> I suppose this is related to my DT description?
> >>
> >> 	chosen {
> >> 		stdout-path = "serial:115200n8";
> >> 	};
> >>
> >> Isn't stdout-path = "serial:115200n8" supposed to be equivalent to
> >> console=ttyS0,115200 ?
> >
> > First of all, that should probably be serial0, and it needs to be
> > defined as an alias. In my case that's a given.
>
> My DT root node contains
>
> 	aliases {
> 		serial = &uart;
> 		eth0 = &eth0;
> 	};
>
> Should I be using serial0 everywhere?
> (I thought I could call it "foo", if I wanted.)

Correct, stdout-path contains the node name - please see
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/chosen.txt for the definitive
information.

Setting the early console has no effect on the eventual system
console that the kernel chooses.  See these files:

drivers/of/fdt.c
drivers/tty/serial/earlycon.c

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/