[QUESTION] Early Write Acknowledge for PCIe configuration space

Will Deacon will.deacon at arm.com
Thu Feb 9 03:30:28 PST 2017

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 06:35:30PM +0000, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 11:42:32AM +0000, Will Deacon wrote:

> > > I don't think the barriers in readl/writel are enough here, in particular
> > > the write barrier is *before* the access to synchronize DMAs
> > > on RAM with MMIO accesses, which is a bit different from what you
> > > have here.

> > > Probably nobody thought about this properly in the Linux drivers. The
> > > ARMv8 ARM sounds correct here.
> >
> > The ARMv8 ARM also says that the E attribute is a hint, so there's no
> > guarantee that it's actually honoured by the implementation. However,
> > now that it explicitly mentions PCI config space, the intention is clearly
> > that nE *is* honoured for systems using PCIe, so I agree that we should make
> > this change. I don't want to use the nE type for all ioremap invocations,
> > though.
>
> I suspect this is a potential issue on ARM 32-bit systems too(?). Fixing
> IO space should be reasonably simple, we just have to change the
> pgprot_device() in pci_remap_iospace() to pgprot_noncached() (they are
> the same attributes on ARM 32-bit already if I am not mistaken).
>
> What do we want to do for config space ? Implement ioremap_uc() for
> ARM/ARM64 (and add a devm_ioremap_uc() call to use it in basically all
> drivers/pci/host implementations to map config space - or we just patch
> the ioremap calls in drivers/pci/ecam.c and we assume the other hosts
> controllers have purportedly called devm_ioremap() because on those
> platforms it just works ok till further notice ?)

Hmm, ioremap_uc only has one non-arch caller afaict, so that might be on
the way out. Having something that conveys the intention (e.g.
pci_remap_cfgspace) might encourage adoption in new host controller drivers,
but I'm not really fussed about how this change happens as long as we don't
change our ioremap implementation (since early write acknowledgement is
fine for other things).

Will