[QUESTION] Early Write Acknowledge for PCIe configuration space

Lorenzo Pieralisi lorenzo.pieralisi at arm.com
Wed Feb 8 10:35:30 PST 2017

On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 11:42:32AM +0000, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 12:24:25PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Friday, January 6, 2017 11:15:22 AM CET John Garry wrote:
> > > [apologies if this has been queried before]
> > >
> > > Hi ARM guys,
> > >
> > > I have a question about the device memory attributes we assign for PCIe
> > > config space for arm64. Currently we use ioremap to map in the config
> > > space; this uses nGnRE, which means we enable Early Write Acknowledge.
> > >
> > > The ARMv8 ARM states that "ARM recommend that No Early Write Acknowledge
> > > Hint is used for PCIe configuration writes".
> > >
> > > I understand a problem with using E is in that configuration write is a
> > > non-post operation, which means the RP requires to get the completion
> > > ack from the EP The problem here is if CPU writes data to ECAM by E,
> > > complete will go back to CPU directly, and maybe at this point the write
> > > has not reached the EP.
> > >
> > > I believe that this may cause ordering issues in PCI read/write. In
> > > practice we use non-relaxed readl/writel to access config space, which
> > > include the synchronization barriers, which, *as I understand*, even if
> > > for full system domain, may be negated by the E attribute for PCIe.
> >
> > I don't think the barriers in readl/writel are enough here, in particular
> > the write barrier is *before* the access to synchronize DMAs
> > on RAM with MMIO accesses, which is a bit different from what you
> > have here.
> >
> > > So a question: why is the recommendation in the ARMv8 ARM ignored?
> >
> > Probably nobody thought about this properly in the Linux drivers. The
> > ARMv8 ARM sounds correct here.
>
> The ARMv8 ARM also says that the E attribute is a hint, so there's no
> guarantee that it's actually honoured by the implementation. However,
> now that it explicitly mentions PCI config space, the intention is clearly
> that nE *is* honoured for systems using PCIe, so I agree that we should make
> this change. I don't want to use the nE type for all ioremap invocations,
> though.

I suspect this is a potential issue on ARM 32-bit systems too(?). Fixing
IO space should be reasonably simple, we just have to change the
pgprot_device() in pci_remap_iospace() to pgprot_noncached() (they are
the same attributes on ARM 32-bit already if I am not mistaken).

What do we want to do for config space ? Implement ioremap_uc() for
ARM/ARM64 (and add a devm_ioremap_uc() call to use it in basically all
drivers/pci/host implementations to map config space - or we just patch
the ioremap calls in drivers/pci/ecam.c and we assume the other hosts
controllers have purportedly called devm_ioremap() because on those
platforms it just works ok till further notice ?)

Thanks,
Lorenzo