DT dtc warnings

Rob Herring robh at kernel.org
Fri Dec 15 10:52:37 PST 2017

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 1:34 AM, Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk at kernel.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Alexandre Belloni
> <alexandre.belloni at free-electrons.com> wrote:

>>> That's the point - they do not have unit address.
>>>

>> Should they be put under the syscon they are using?

+1

> They are not using syscon but regmap provided by such external IP
> block (for example this:
> http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.15-rc3/source/arch/arm/boot/dts/exynos3250.dtsi#L153).
> I guess you are proposing something like on imx7s:
> http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.15-rc3/source/arch/arm/boot/dts/imx7s.dtsi#L539

Yes, but the regmap property is pointless. It's the parent!

> That makes sense... I am not sure how this would be related to the
> warning itself but anyway it looks logically.

They just have to be under a node that is not a simple-bus.

"soc" nodes with a simple-bus compatible don't really mean everything
in the SoC, but just all (or some part of) the memory mapped space.
There's many board specific settings within those nodes. We don't
really split up top-level things into board and soc levels.

Rob