BCM2836 (Raspberry Pi 2) port

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed May 13 10:46:24 PDT 2015

Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> writes:

> On 05/12/2015 11:32 AM, Eric Anholt wrote:
>> Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> writes:

>>> Eventually yes. So far, nobody seems to know which areas of RAM are
>>> off-limits (presumably since the RAM is used as a CPU1..3 pen), so I was
>>> experimenting to try and find that out.
>>
>> If I'm reading this right, the CPU1-3 pen is in the bottom 8k of memory
>> (actually much less than 8k).
>
> Hmm. I wondered if that was the case. I don't think anything I was doing
> in U-Boot /should/ touch those pages, but there have been bugs before
> where some pointer was left at NULL, and some DM (U-Boot Device Model)
> code ended up putting structures in page 0 by mistake. Perhaps something
> like that has resurfaced. I'll try to find time to diff page 0
> before/after various U-Boot operations, and see if it's getting modified...

How about on the Linux side?  What's reserving that memory for us, if
anything?  Weird things happen if I put "ARM: bcm2836: Add a DT binding
for the ARM local registers." and "ARM: bcm2835: Use a syscon regmap to
set up timer frequency." before the SMP support in the bcm2836-smp tree
(init crashes).