BCM2836 (Raspberry Pi 2) port

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed May 13 11:32:59 PDT 2015

On 05/13/2015 11:46 AM, Eric Anholt wrote:
> Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> writes:

>>> If I'm reading this right, the CPU1-3 pen is in the bottom 8k of memory
>>> (actually much less than 8k).
>>
>> Hmm. I wondered if that was the case. I don't think anything I was doing
>> in U-Boot /should/ touch those pages, but there have been bugs before
>> where some pointer was left at NULL, and some DM (U-Boot Device Model)
>> code ended up putting structures in page 0 by mistake. Perhaps something
>> like that has resurfaced. I'll try to find time to diff page 0
>> before/after various U-Boot operations, and see if it's getting modified...
>
> How about on the Linux side?  What's reserving that memory for us, if
> anything?

Likely nothing at present. I was starting to see what looked like
SMP-pen-related issues just in U-Boot, before even attempting to boot a
kernel at all. So, I didn't put any though into how to communicate this
to the kernel.

>  Weird things happen if I put "ARM: bcm2836: Add a DT binding
> for the ARM local registers." and "ARM: bcm2835: Use a syscon regmap to
> set up timer frequency." before the SMP support in the bcm2836-smp tree
> (init crashes).

This issue would probably explain that; if the kernel just happens to
allocate a physical page of RAM that overlaps the SMP pen memory.

A /memreserve/ in the DT would probably solve this. Adjusting the
content of the /memory/reg property to remove the SMP pen would likely
work too.

Is there no way to disable CPU1..n other than using an SMP pen in
memory? If the CPUs simply weren't executing anything at all, but could
be unblocked/powered-up/... later, that'd simplify life.