[RFC 0/2] VFIO: Add virtual MSI doorbell support.

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 10:58:55 PDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-07-28 at 17:23 +0000, Bhushan Bharat wrote:
> Hi Alex,

If vfio is reserving pages independently from the user, this becomes
what Marc called "shaping" the VM and what x86 effectively does.  An
interface extension should expose these implicit regions so the user can
avoid them for DMA memory mapping.

>  If any other iova mapping will overlap with this then it will return
> error and user-space. Ideally this should be choosen in such a way
> that it never overlap, which is easy on some systems but can be tricky
> on some other system like Freescale PowerPC. This is not sufficient
> for at-least Freescale PowerPC based SOC. This is because of hardware
> limitation, where we need to fit this reserved iova address within
> aperture decided by user-space. So if we allow user-space to change
> this reserved iova address to a value decided by user-spece itself
> then we can support both ARM/PowerPC based solutions.

Yes, that's my intention, to allow userspace to specify the reserved
region.  I believe you have some additional restrictions on the number
of MSI banks available and whether MSI banks can be shared, but I would
hope that doesn't preclude a shared interface with ARM.

> I have some implementation ready/tested with this approach and if this
> approach looks good then I can submit a RFC patch.

Yes, please post.  Thanks,

Alex