[RFC 0/2] VFIO: Add virtual MSI doorbell support.

Bhushan Bharat Bharat.Bhushan at freescale.com
Tue Jul 28 10:23:45 PDT 2015

Hi Alex,

We probably need a mix of both to support Freescale PowerPC and ARM based machines.
In this mix mode kernel vfio driver will reserve some IOVA for mapping MSI page/s. If any other iova mapping will overlap with this then it will return error and user-space. Ideally this should be choosen in such a way that it never overlap, which is easy on some systems but can be tricky on some other system like Freescale PowerPC. This is not sufficient for at-least Freescale PowerPC based SOC. This is because of hardware limitation, where we need to fit this reserved iova address within aperture decided by user-space. So if we allow user-space to change this reserved iova address to a value decided by user-spece itself then we can support both ARM/PowerPC based solutions.

I have some implementation ready/tested with this approach and if this approach looks good then I can submit a RFC patch.

Thanks
-Bharat