mm: insure topdown mmap chooses addresses above security minimum

Timothy Pepper timothy.c.pepper at linux.intel.com
Fri Sep 27 11:39:52 EDT 2013

On Wed 25 Sep at 19:44:36 +0200 mingo at kernel.org said:

> * Timothy Pepper <timothy.c.pepper at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> > > There appears to be a lot of repetition in these methods - instead of
> > > changing 6 places it would be more future-proof to first factor out the
> > > common bits and then to apply the fix to the shared implementation.
> >
> > Besides that existing redundancy in the multiple somewhat similar
> > arch_get_unmapped_area_topdown() functions, I was expecting people might
> > question the added redundancy of the six instances of:
> >
> > 	max(PAGE_SIZE, PAGE_ALIGN(mmap_min_addr));
>
> That redundancy would be automatically addressed by my suggestion.

Yes.

I'm looking at the cleanup and will post a bisectable series that
introduces a common helper, addes the calls to use that helper where
applicable (looks like it might be a few dozen per arch locations), and
then the single line change for the topdown case within the common helper
to do:

	info->low_limit = max(PAGE_SIZE, PAGE_ALIGN(mmap_min_addr));

--
Tim Pepper <timothy.c.pepper at linux.intel.com>
Intel Open Source Technology Center