imprecise external abort using the flexcan driver on i.MX6Q

Lothar Waßmann LW at KARO-electronics.de
Fri Sep 27 05:23:13 EDT 2013

Hi,

Santosh Shilimkar writes:
> On Thursday 26 September 2013 11:54 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> >> Looks like a NULL pointer deref to me. But it doesn't make any sense,
> >> because the offset is way beyond the length of the struct flexcan_regs.
> >
> > NULL pointer derefs don't produce imprecise external aborts.  I believe
> > that the FAR is unpredictable for such aborts as well, which means the
> > "at xxxx" should be ignored.
> >
> yep .. FAR is never reliable for imprecise external aborts.
>
> > Bearing in mind that it is imprecise, that means that the abort happened
> > sometime in the past, so the PC isn't reliable either.
> >
> > The code here is:
> >
> >    0:	f57ff04e 	dsb	st
> >    4:	e3a01000 	mov	r1, #0
> >    8:	e5820000 	str	r0, [r2]
> >    c:	f57ff04e 	dsb	st
> >   10:	e5820004 	str	r0, [r2, #4]
> >
> > Given the dsbs there, it's probably the str r0, [r2] which provoked it,
> > and we can see from the register dump, r2 is not NULL.
> >
> > It's probably complaining that a clock necessary for the peripherals
> > registers to be accessible is not running.
> >
> Not sure if it helps but almost 90% of the imprecise external aborts
> cases I have seen on OMAP attributed to clock not being available
> at the IP register accesses race conditions either at SW or
> hardware(clock settling time). And rest of the 10 % majority falling
> into interconnect synchronization issues.

I already checked this by enabling all clocks with devmem.
If a clock would be missing I would expect all register wriites to
fail not the register write to the _second_ mailbox (after the first
mailbox has been successfully initialized).

Lothar Waßmann

Ka-Ro electronics GmbH | Pascalstraße 22 | D - 52076 Aachen
Phone: +49 2408 1402-0 | Fax: +49 2408 1402-10
Geschäftsführer: Matthias Kaussen
Handelsregistereintrag: Amtsgericht Aachen, HRB 4996

www.karo-electronics.de | info at karo-electronics.de